Fourth of Six

Listen Up! There will be a test!

Monday, February 16, 2009

Full-sized laptop for under $300

I never thought I'd see the day when a full-sized laptop would sell for under $300, new. The catch is that there is no meaningful operating system. The version of Linpus which comes installed on this one does not have a graphical user interface. It has decent specifications for a beginner, but the speakers are weak, and it's a little on the heavy side. I have it running Linux Mint, but I might make it a Hackintosh someday. It took me 12 days to get the Wi-Fi to work on it, so I need a rest before I wrestle with anything like Kalyway Leopard.

Acer eMachines LXN070C008 Notebook:
Intel Celeron 2.00GHz processor
Wi-fi
1GB RAM
15.4-inch widescreen LCD
120GB hard drive (mine has 160GB)
8X DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive
Lithium-Ion 6 cell battery
Weight: 6.17 lb
Integrated webcam
Built-in microphone

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Blogger Bobmo said...

Are you saying you have one of these? Nice.

Linux Mint is a meaningful operating system. Just as good as BSD ;-)

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Linpus is not a meaningful OS. Linux Mint is. :)

Yes, I have one!

What do you have BSD on?

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Bobmo said...

I don't have BSD running on anything. I was just comparing 'em.

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Dedwarmo said...

I'm proud of you for getting Wi-Fi working. I installed Yellow Dog Linux on a computer and I could only get dial-up to work. I couldn't get ethernet to work. I didn't even try to get Wi-Fi working. I didn't try very hard. The instructions I found meant nothing to me. I recognized words like "shell", "TCP/IP" and "root" but otherwize I was mystified.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Becky said...

I think a lot has changed since you played with Linux. They tell me it's much easier to install stuff now. I found the how-to on the CentOs Wiki.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home